Why Guerrilla Marketing Fail?!
Guerrilla Marketing could fails when there are barriers to Guerrilla Planning, these barriers could be summarized in:
- Culture as barrier to planning.
- Power & Politics as barriers to planning.
- Analysis and not action as barriers to planning.
- Resources as barriers to planning.
- Skills as barriers to planning. Drummond et al, 2003
Why Guerrilla Marketing Fail?
1. Culture as barrier to Guerrilla planning:
The culture is one of the very essential factors that prevents Guerrilla marketers from planning; if you want to create innovative ideas for your Guerrilla marketing plan, and those ideas could make a tremendous changes and profits for your company, but your Guerrilla marketing plan wasn’t match the culture of people you are targeting your plan to. Then your plan will end by failure, because you should write a Guerrilla marketing plan that match the culture of your target segment.
- If you want to write a book about the motivation and success, and you want to make Guerrilla marketing plan for that product (the book). Let us suppose that you made your book in Arabic language, so you can’t sell that Arabic copy to the countries which their people’ first language is English as a first language. So you should make another version of your book in English to target those segments.
- If you created a basketball shoes, and want to make Guerrilla marketing for that product. You should focus on the countries which their people’ first interest is the Basket Ball, and if you didn’t find a whole country having a high interest in the basket ball, then search for segment of people who like the basket ball at most, and sell your products to them.
- So if you have well resources, you can search for the culture of people who you can sell your products to, and by time you can develop your products there by adding the innovation and creativity that match that culture you searched.
- But if you don’t have the resources to select the culture of people who you are targeting, then you should understand the culture of people who you are targeting currently. You need to monitor their life interests, and their life styles, what they like or don’t like, then you can develop a product that they really need. When you do this, you will be able to create a strong and sustained Guerrilla marketing plan.
2. Power and Politics as barriers to Guerilla planning:
Also you should study the political factors of the country that you are going to implement your Guerrilla marketing plan in, because if any restrictions about your products, then you are going to lose thousands of thousands of money you could gain if you studied the politics of that country first.
Example: If you want to create a product that the customers really need, but the politics in that country are unstable, and you can predict a war in that country, so you should know that your products won’t be stable and established in that country until that war or political instability stop.
Also Tariffs, Taxis, disposable income of your target segments are affecting your pricing strategies and affecting your profitability and level of investment to those target segments.
3. Analysis and not action as barrier to Guerrilla planning:
- This is a great problem not only for marketers but also for business men and many people in our life.
- Many Guerrilla marketers spent a long time in analyzing external environmental factors (external audit), internal environmental factors (internal Audit), SWOT analysis, developing and analyzing marketing strategies, resetting marketing objectives and spending extensive time to analyzing and developing integrated marketing mix for their products. They are delaying the implementation of their business by their continuous analysis without taking actions.
- All of Guerrilla marketers are monitoring and analyzing the previous issues in their Guerrilla marketing plans, but you should make them in parallel with the implementation of your plan. If you are going to delay your products launch until you make complete analysis, then I can tell you with confidence that you will never launch your products, because the market dynamics analysis will never end.
- So when Guerrilla marketers are spending lot of time in analysis not action, it leads them to PARALYSIS (Paralyzing their marketing plan through extensive analysis).
4. Resources as barriers to Guerrilla planning:
Before you create your Guerrilla marketing plan, you should know your resources, study all types of resources you have:
- Financial Resources.
- Knowledge of the Market (that you are going to sell your product in).
- Quality of Management Department and Sales Persons.
Because you can’t make a Guerrilla marketing plan that needs a huge investment, while your resources doesn’t help you to implement.
5. Skills as barrier to Guerrilla planning:
This is critical to measure and evaluate the skills of people who are responsible for promoting your products or services to your target segments. But How skills could be a barrier to planning?
If the skills of 1st line sales, marketing, staff, HR, different functions in your organizations…if all of them don’t have skills and competence to make your business grow in the market, then when you plan for your products and services for future growth and profitability, those unskilled employees will affect your Guerrilla plan and would be barriers to your Guerrilla marketing plans.
- The skills of your sales person (who will sell your product to the customers), their quality, performance, level of education and post graduate studies.
- The skills of your subordinates (management, marketing, selling skills, their leadership and coaching skills, their attitude towards work).
- The skills of your superiors (you should monitor the skills of your manager closely, and what is the level of communication he like and dislike, what is making him supporting your plans, his motives and interests).
- Your Skills, you should update your Guerrilla marketing knowledge, studying at accredited marketing schools, also updates your presentation skills, communication, problem solving, selling skills, creativity and creative thinking skills.
Click here for one-to-one Intensive Guerrilla Marketing Training.
Click here for one-to-one Guerrilla Marketing Coaching.
Click here for one-to-one Guerrilla Marketing Consulting.
Stay tuned, Be Guerrilla!